This node set includes nodes for receiving data from a USB Human Interface Device (HID), and for discovering available HIDs.
Some USB devices (but not all of them) are HIDs — for example, your keyboard and mouse are HIDs, and joysticks, game pads, and other controllers may be HIDs.
Receive HID Controls node receives values from HID controls. A control is physical interface that provides a single data value. For example, a typical 3-button mouse will have 6 controls: X, Y, Wheel, Button 1, Button 2, and Button 3. Use the
Filter Control or
Filter and Scale Control node to narrow down the data to just the controls you’re interested in.
If you’re not sure whether Vuo is detecting your HID:
- Add a
Receive HID Controls node to your composition. Double-click on its
Device input port to bring up a menu of all connected HIDs. See if your device is in the list.
- Check the Console application for any messages about HIDs.
If Vuo isn’t detecting your device:
- Make sure your composition is referring to the correct device. (Sometimes two devices of the same model can have different names.)
- Make sure you’ve installed any necessary drivers for the device.
- Make sure the device is securely plugged in.
- Try plugging the device into a different port on your computer.
If Vuo detects your device, but doesn’t seem to be receiving any data:
- Make sure your composition is referring to the correct device, especially if you have multiple similar devices connected.
- Make sure that another Vuo composition or application isn’t already exclusively connected to the device. (Check the Console application for messages.)
- Try unplugging the device and plugging it back in. (If another Vuo composition was using the device but isn’t using it anymore, this will make your current composition retry connecting to the device.)
- To exclusively read from a keyboard, Mac OS X requires
- Filter Control (vuo.hid.filter.control): Only lets a USB HID control pass through if its name matches.
- Find HIDs by Name (vuo.hid.find.name): Given a list of USB HID devices, finds the devices whose names match a specified name.
- Get HID Values (vuo.hid.get): Gives information about a USB HID device.
- Get Control Values (vuo.hid.get.control): Gives information about a physical control on a USB HID device.
- List HIDs (vuo.hid.listDevices): Gives a list of USB Human Interface Devices that are currently connected.
- Make HID from Name (vuo.hid.make.name): Selects a USB HID device by matching its name.
- Receive HID Controls (vuo.hid.receive): Outputs a stream of control data from a USB HID device.
- Filter and Scale Control (vuo.hid.scale.control): Only lets a USB HID control pass through if its name matches.