These nodes are for working with 2D images.
An image consists of a grid of pixels. Each pixel is represented as a combination of colors (often red, green, and blue). The image can be separated by these color components into channels. In addition to color channels, some images have an alpha channel that represents the image’s opacity. An image with an alpha channel may have transparent or semi-transparent regions, whereas an image without an alpha channel is always fully opaque. The popover for an image port lists the image’s channels, along with other information about the image’s format that may be useful if you’re writing GLSL shaders.
Many of the nodes in this node set are image filters — they take an input image and apply an effect to it to produce an output image. To see a list of the image filter nodes, search the Node Library for “image filter”.
In Vuo Coordinates, (0,0) is the center of an image. An image has a width of 2, with X-coordinate -1 on the left edge and 1 on the right edge. An image’s height is determined by its aspect ratio, with the Y-coordinate increasing from bottom to top.
To use a 2D image in 3D space, you can use the
Make 3D Object from Image in the
vuo.scene node set.
- Animate Concentric Circles: This composition uses a shadertoy shader to render an effect of moving concentric colored circles on an image.
- Blend Images: Blends two images into a single image. You can experiment with the
Blend Image node's input ports to change how the images are blended.
- Blur Movie: Displays blurred frames in a movie.
- Bulge Checkerboard: Warps a checkerboard image with a bulge distortion that follows the mouse pointer.
- Compare Kaleidoscopes: Shows four different variations of kaleidoscopes.
- Compare Stereo Types: Shows the different ways a pair of images (left and right eyes) can be combined into a single image. Click to change the type.
- Display Image: Displays an image loaded from a file on your computer.
- Display Image Feedback: Displays an image with blended feedback.
- Enhance Blue: Increases and decreases the brightness of the image's blue tones as the mouse moves up and down.
- Enlarge Movie: Crops and enlarges an area of a movie.
- Explore Checkerboard: Displays a checkerboard image, with the checkerboard's center, angle, and type controlled by the mouse.
- Find Barcode In Syphon Image: Receives video via Syphon, detects a barcode in it, and displays the result on the screen. Try running this composition while streaming live video from an iPhone camera.
- Flip Movie: Displays flipped frames in a movie.
- Fly At Warp Speed: A recreation of Douglas Trumbull's warp speed effect.
- Generate Checkerboard Image: Displays a sliding checkerboard.
- Mask Movie By Brightness: Applies a brightness mask to a movie.
- Mask Movie With Star: Applies an image mask to a movie.
- Mirror Movie: Displays mirrored frames in a movie.
- Move Linear Gradient: Displays a linear gradient image, with the gradient's start point controlled by mouse movements.
- Move Radial Gradient: Displays a radial gradient image, with the gradient's center controlled by mouse movements.
- Offset Colors: Offsets the red, green, and blue channels in an image with simple colors.
- Posterize Movie: Applies a "posterize" image filter to a movie, changing the number of colors in the image as the mouse moves left and right.
- Recolor Movie: Applies new colors to a movie.
- Render Text Image: This composition creates a text image and renders it.
- Ripple Image Gradients: A simple ethereal animation.
- Rotate Movie: Displays rotated frames in a movie.
- Save Sepia Image: This composition fetches an image, sepia tones it, and saves it to the desktop.
- Scan Barcodes: Detects barcodes within image files, and displays the information encoded by each one.
- Separate Red Green Blue: Displays an original image and its red, green, and blue channels as separate images.
- Show Color From Image: Samples a color from an image, and shows that color in an enlarged square.
- Show Frost Noise: Demonstrates the noise parameters in the
Frost Image node.
- Show Noise Image: Demonstrates creating an animated noise image, and controlling its center and scale.
- Show Random Image: Demonstrates creating a random image, and independently controlling its color and pattern.
- Simulate Film Projector: Plays a movie, and applies filters to make it look like an old-fashioned film projection.
- Tile Movie: Displays tiled frames in a movie.
- Vignette Movie: Applies a vignette to a movie.
- Warp Image For Fisheye Projection: Warps an spherical image for use in a dome projector.
- Apply Mask (vuo.image.apply.mask): Uses the brightness and opacity of colors in a mask image to control the opacity in another image.
- Blend Images (vuo.image.blend): Blends two images into a single image.
- Blur Image (vuo.image.blur): Distorts the image with a blur effect.
- Bulge Image (vuo.image.bulge): Distorts the image by making part of it appear to move outward or inward.
- Adjust Image Colors (vuo.image.color.adjust): Alters an image’s color characteristics.
- Combine Image RGB Channels (vuo.image.color.combine.rgb): Combines red, green, and blue channels into a single image.
- Invert Image Colors (vuo.image.color.invert): Alters an image’s colors by replacing each color with its opposite.
- Map Image Colors (vuo.image.color.map): Alters an image’s colors by mapping the image’s brightness to a color gradient.
- Mask Image by Brightness (vuo.image.color.mask.brightness): Changes the darker colors in the image to transparent.
- Radially Offset Image RGB Channels (vuo.image.color.offset.radial.rgb): Distorts the image with a color-shifting effect.
- Offset Image RGB Channels (vuo.image.color.offset.rgb): Distorts the image with a color-shifting effect.
- Split Image RGB Channels (vuo.image.color.split.rgb): Splits the image into its red, green, and blue channels.
- Combine 3D Stereo Images (vuo.image.combine.stereo) [Pro node]: Merges two images — the left and right eyes — into a single image.
- Crop Image (vuo.image.crop): Outputs only a rectangular part of an image.
- Crop Image Pixels (vuo.image.crop.pixels): Outputs only a rectangular part of an image.
- Blend Image with Feedback (vuo.image.feedback): Displays an image with a feedback trail.
- Fetch Image (vuo.image.fetch): Loads or downloads an image from a URL.
- Fetch List of Images (vuo.image.fetch.list): Loads or downloads images from a set of URLs.
- Find Barcode in Image (vuo.image.findBarcode): Tries to find and decode a barcode in an image.
- Flip Image Horizontally (vuo.image.flip.horizontal): Horizontally mirrors an image.
- Flip Image Vertically (vuo.image.flip.vertical): Vertically mirrors an image.
- Frost Image (vuo.image.frost): Distorts the image as though it were seen through frosted glass.
- Get Image Size (vuo.image.get.size): Gives the image’s dimensions in pixels.
- Make Kaleidoscope Image (vuo.image.kaleidoscope): Applies a radial reflection effect to an image.
- Make Checkerboard Image (vuo.image.make.checkerboard): Creates an image with a checkerboard or stripe pattern.
- Make Color Image (vuo.image.make.color): Creates a solid-color image.
- Make Linear Gradient Image (vuo.image.make.gradient.linear): Creates a gradient that transitions smoothly between the given colors along a straight line.
- Make Radial Gradient Image (vuo.image.make.gradient.radial): Creates a circular gradient that transitions smoothly between the given colors.
- Make Noise Image (vuo.image.make.noise): Creates an image where each pixel uses periodic gradient noise to blend between 2 colors.
- Make Random Image (vuo.image.make.random): Creates an image where each pixel is a random blend between 2 colors.
- Make Image with Shadertoy (vuo.image.make.shadertoy): Creates an image from GLSL source code.
- Make Text Image (vuo.image.make.text): Renders an image containing the specified text.
- Mirror Image (vuo.image.mirror): Reflects one half or one quarter of an image.
- Pixellate Image (vuo.image.pixellate): Distorts the image by displaying it at lower resolution, so that it has fewer and larger pixels.
- Is Image Populated (vuo.image.populated): Outputs true if the image has a non-zero width and height.
- Posterize Image (vuo.image.posterize): Reduces the number of colors in an image, creating a screen-printed poster effect.
- Warp Image with Projection Mesh (vuo.image.project.dome) [Pro node]: Stretches an image across a mesh imported from a mesh data file.
- Render Image to Window (vuo.image.render.window): Displays a window containing an image.
- Resize Image (vuo.image.resize): Changes the dimensions of an image.
- Resize Image if Larger (vuo.image.resize.larger): Changes the dimensions of an image if this would make the image smaller.
- Ripple Image (vuo.image.ripple): Distorts the image with a wave or ripple effect.
- Rotate Image (vuo.image.rotate): Rotates an image about its center point.
- Sample Color from Image (vuo.image.sample.color): Retrieves the color of part of an image.
- Save Image (vuo.image.save): Save an image to a file.
- Tile Image (vuo.image.tile): Repeats an image by tiling it in a grid.
- Twirl Image (vuo.image.twirl): Distorts the image by twirling it around a point.
- Vignette Image (vuo.image.vignette): Tints the image around the edges.
- Change Wrap Mode (vuo.image.wrapMode): Changes the way that areas outside the image are rendered by other nodes.