Nodes for generating (pseudo)random numbers using various techniques.
Gradient noise (including Perlin noise and simplex noise) is useful for creating natural-looking movement and textures.
Uniformly distributed random numbers are useful for picking from a set of options. When a random number is generated from a uniform distribution, the number falls between a given minimum and maximum. Each number between the minimum and the maximum has an equal chance of being picked.
Many of these nodes can work with various types of numbers — Integers, Reals, 2D Points, 3D Points, 4D Points — because their ports have changeable data types. To change the type of number in the calculation, change the port’s data type. (For example, right-click on the port and select from the Set Data Type submenu.)
To make images containing various kinds of noise, use the Make Noise Image and Make Random Image nodes.
- Color Squares Randomly: Displays a pattern of up to 100 colored squares. Each square has a one-in-five chance of being yellow. Once 100 squares are visible, continues to add new squares at the bottom and delete old squares at the top.
- Display Random Colors: Displays a series of randomly selected colors. Each time this composition starts (and when the mouse is clicked), it starts over at the same color because of the fixed seed used to randomly select the colors.
- Make Random Sounds: Generates a randomly fluctuating pitch, illustrated with a waveform diagram with randomly changing colors.
- Place Spheres Randomly: Displays a scene with many spheres in random positions. Use the mouse to orbit, pan, roll, and dolly (zoom) the view. The positions are the same each time the composition is run because the random positions are generated from the same number, or seed, each time the composition is started.
- Scribble: Draws a series of lines between random points.
- Wander Image: Animates an image along an organic, wandering path.
- Make Gradient Noise (vuo.noise.gradient): Generates a pseudorandom value using Perlin noise or simplex noise.
- Make Random List (vuo.noise.random.list): Generates a list of pseudorandom values uniformly distributed between Minimum and Maximum.
- Make Random List with Seed (vuo.noise.random.list.seed): Generates a list of pseudorandom values uniformly distributed between Minimum and Maximum.
- Make Random Value (vuo.noise.random): Generates a pseudorandom value uniformly distributed between Minimum and Maximum.
- Make Random Value with Seed (vuo.noise.random.seed): Generates a pseudorandom value uniformly distributed between Minimum and Maximum.